Know Your Locality – Meath – February-March 2022
All Programs, Irish Archaeology Field School Programs, Know your Locality Courses
Overview: It is amazing what you can discover about your local area from the snug safety of your home. Meath County Council Heritage Office in association with the Irish Archaeology Field School invites you participate in a FREE online course that will take you step-by-step through the available online sources that will allow you to paint a picture of the geological, archaeological, and historical events that happened close to where you live. While the course will look at examples from throughout Ireland, it will focus on the geology, archaeology and history of the county of Meath. As such the course is aimed toward residents of Meath (who will be given preference for available course places) as well as enthusiasts of Meath’s natural and cultural heritage.
The course will be delivered through five online tutorials every Wednesday over five weeks commencing Wednesday 2nd February 2022. The first workshop includes a summary of the course content and format. At the end of each workshop, a list of resources/links will be sent to the participants so that they can study their own locality. Workshops 1-5 will each teach an individual research skill and also include 15-20 minutes to answer questions arising from the previous session. Workshop 5 will comprise a wrap-up, outlining the information obtained by the participants which can be utilised to tell the geology, archaeology, and history of their localities. Workshop 5 will also outline how these skills can be used to make your own submission(!) to the ‘KnowYour5k’ initiative by the Heritage Council and National Museum of Ireland. Gathering these submissions for County Meath is a key outcome of the course.
Course Dates and Times: February 2 – March 2 (five two-hour sessions (6.30pm – 8.30pm GMT) in total on February 2, 9, 16 & 23 and March 2.
- Where: From your home!
- Equipment: You will need access to the internet and a device (preferably a laptop or PC)
- Enrolment Status: OPEN
- Course Type: Local Geology/Archaeology/History
- Instructor: Dr Stephen Mandal
- Cost: FREE
- Application Deadline: n/a (until fully booked)
Steps to enjoy the weekly Know Your Locality course:
The series consists of five specialist online tutorials.
- Sign up (fill out the simple ‘Register here’ form)*
- Receive the link to the first tutorial 24 hours before the live zoom session
- Watch the online tutorials from the comfort of your home
- Discover your local area with the online sources provided in the course
* Please note that places are strictly limited on this course. While the course if free – thanks to support from Meath County Heritage Office – please only register if you are committed to attending, as otherwise you will be taking someone else’s place.