The 2021-22 Human Rights and Equality Grants Scheme is now open.
The closing date for applications will be 4pm on 22 April 2021.
The scheme is open to civil society organisations, including community and voluntary organisations, non-governmental organisations, rights-holder groups, area-based community groups, communities of interest groups, and trade unions from across the country, who can bring forward proposals on empowering people and communities to understand and claim their rights and be part of decision-making that affects them. This includes people at risk of discrimination protected under the nine grounds of Ireland’s equality legislation: gender, civil status, family status, age, sexual orientation, disability, race, religion, and membership of the Traveller community and people at risk of poverty and social exclusion.
Small grants of up to €6,000 and general grants of up to €20,000 will be awarded to support activities under three strands:
- Advancing Social and Economic Rights and Equality
- Combatting Racism and Racial Discrimination
- Progressing the Rights of People with Disabilities
Activities that the Human Rights and Equality Grant Scheme 2021-22 can support include:
- Participatory education and training activities
- Projects focused on engaging people in shaping policy and legislation reform
- Conferences, seminars and roundtables
- Campaigns and print or digital tools
- Participatory research and policy analysis
- Monitoring compliance of public bodies with human rights and equality standards
The successful projects will build understanding and leadership; empower people and communities who face the greatest barriers to advocate for their rights and be involved in the decisions that affect them; and to help place human rights and equality at the centre of legislation, policies and practice.
Applying for a grant
A guidance document is available to help you prepare your application.
Grant applications must be submitted in full on the application form provided.
The assessment panel will consider no additional material.
Under this scheme, eligible organisations can submit a maximum of one application.
Applications can be submitted:
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org (please use the subject line ‘Human Rights & Equality Grant Scheme 2021-22 and Thematic Strand (A, B or C)
By post: Attention: Grants Team, Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission, 16-22 Green Street, Dublin 7
The closing date for receipt of applications is Thursday 22 April 2021, strictly at 4.00pm.
- Applications by post or courier must be received by the closing time and date.
- Applications postmarked with the closing date will not be accepted, if they arrive after the closing time.
- Applications submitted by email must be received in the grants email inbox by the closing time and date indicated.
- Applications that arrive post/courier or to the grants email box after this time and date will not be considered under any circumstances.
Information sessions for applicants
The Commission will hold two Information Sessions for applicants from 11am to 1pm on 18 and 19 March 2021.
Register to participate at email@example.com with the date of the session you would like to attend in the subject line.
Places are limited to 90 people for each session.