Cycle Against Suicide: Community Buddy training
Community Buddy Training with Cycle Against Suicide
The next training will take place over 4 evenings* 7-10pm on:
- April on Tues 18th & Thurs 20th and Tues 25th & Thurs 27th
*All 4 training evenings must be attended in order to complete the training.
Training to become a Community Buddy is through our Peer-Support Wellbeing Programme.
Training is is delivered via Zoom and free of charge for anyone already volunteering in a club or association within their local community.
About the Training:
The Cycle Against Suicide Peer-Support Wellbeing Programme is an intensive training centered around a structured but supportive conversation in a safe and non-judgmental space. Peer-Support allows an individual to discuss how they are coping or not coping and working together with a trained peer-mentor to co-produce ways of moving forward to overcome the challenges.
Participants on the programme will learn about:
- the impact of mental health problems and how to recognise more complex symptoms
- the assessment of stress levels using a structured schedule and how to manage distressed individuals
- motivational counselling skills, which encourage individuals to seek professional help if needed
- helping individuals build resilience to anxiety through managing challenging situations in positive ways
Participants on our Peer-Support Wellbeing programme are instructed on how stress and mental health problems can affect individuals. They are trained in the use of a structured interview schedule to ascertain whether individuals might be experiencing significant levels of distress and on how to practically manage distressed individuals. Participants are also trained to mentor individuals to take positive resilience enhancing actions, such as positive coping. They are trained on how to recognise more complex symptoms requiring professional interventions. They develop skills based on the principal of motivational interviewing to encourage individuals to speak with a health care professional where necessary.
For more information and to register, please go to: