Laptops for Loan Initiative: Meath Libraries
Meath County Council Library Service offers a ‘Laptops for Loan’ scheme, which is generously funded by Facebook.
The initiative aims to address the digital divide compounded by the Covid-19 pandemic which has caused disproportionate hardship on those who are disadvantaged, socially excluded or marginalised.
In Phase 1 of the initiative we loaned 732 laptops to Post-Primary schools who in turn loaned them to the students most in need. Already in Phase 2, we have loaned a further 170 laptops to organisations such as LMETB, Trim Family Resource Centre, Foróíge Navan and the National Learning Network.
- The scheme is intended for organisations/groups working with Marginalised, Socially Excluded and Disadvantaged Communities
- Meath County Council Library Service will provide the logistical support, purchasing the laptops and delivering them directly to the organisation
- Laptops will be loaned for up to one year, and the loan can be renewed if required
- Initial installation/set-up is done by the organisation/group
- The organisation/group covers the cost of insurance
- The organisation/group distributes the laptops according to need.
- The organisation must set up a tracking system for the laptop loans using the serial number and the library barcodes provided.
- On return, the hard drives must be securely wiped and reset to factory settings
For more details about the initiative please contact Maedhbh Rogan McGann at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org