Age Actions’ Getting Started KIT supports older people to keep in touch with their loved ones during the Covid-19 pandemic. We all are feeling the effects of social distancing, and older people are particularly impacted being asked to cocoon at home. Now it is more important than ever to keep in touch with family and friends so Age Action drew on our Getting Started programme which offered face to face digital skills classes, to create easy How To Guides.
The Getting Started KIT is made up of seven How To guides that will support older people to learn, use, and be confident using smartphones and applications.
RTÉ will broadcast video tutorials which are presented by Mary Kennedy on RTÉ One on the Today with Maura and Dáithí programme on Tuesday 28 April at 4.10pm and Thursday 30 April between 3.30pm and 4.40pm. The video tutorials will be available to view on this page on Tuesday 5 May.
We are grateful for the support of RTÉ, NALA, ChangeX, Media Literacy Ireland, the DCU Institute of Future Journalism and the Printing Federation of Ireland for their help in producing and distributing the Getting Started KIT.
The Age Action Getting Started KIT materials are available to download below or people can call 01 8730372 leave their name and address and Age Action will post the How to Guides within 10 days from 1 May.
- How to set up an email account on your smartphone : This How to Guide will help you set up an email address so you can write to family and friends and make purchases online.
- How to download apps to your smartphone : This How to Guide will help you to download an App which is a shortcut that allows you to go directly to the programme or website you wish to access.
- How to use WhatsApp to make video calls on your smartphone : This How to Guide will help you to install WhatsApp which will let you send messages for free, if you are connected to the internet, and make video calls.
- How to use FaceTime on your smart device : FaceTime is a programme that is made by Apple and it will allow you to make free video calls to other people with an Apple device when you are connected to the internet.
- How to use Zoom on your smartphone and laptop : Zoom is a programme that you can download to your smartphone or laptop to enable you to make free video calls with a group of family or friends for up to 40 minutes.
- How to avoid false information about COVID-19 : This How To Guide leaflet tells you about reliable sources of information, steps you can take to check information, and how you can recognise the main types of false information.