Launch of COVID-19 Hardship Fund
The Irish Red Cross and Age Action has publicly launched a COVID-19 Hardship Fund to respond to the immediate needs of older people in vulnerable situations across Ireland experiencing additional hardship as a result of the COVID-19 health crisis.
It is clear that some older people in vulnerable situations and at the highest risk of the coronavirus will need additional supports over the coming weeks, particularly as they are now required to cocoon to protect themselves and others.
This new scheme is designed to provide immediate practical relief to assist in alleviating the hardships they experience due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Irish Red Cross and Age Action have raised funds to provide additional assistance by making once-off grants, up to a maximum of €500, per person/household affected.
Older people in need of assistance, family members supporting an older person and carers of older people, social workers and local voluntary organisations or community groups providing direct assistance to individuals within this target group can all apply.
People can apply for costs to cover the following examples and other needs as they arise within the scope of this fund;
- Small household maintenance, repairs and safety improvements
- Food and basic provisions and associated delivery costs
- Upgraded or New Small Appliances (fridge, freezer, washing machine, TV, cooker, etc.)
- Providing Digital Technology Equipment, for example, smartphones or tablets
- Contribution towards increased energy costs or telephone bills
- Contribution towards additional home or personal security costs
- Contribution towards additional travel costs for essential reasons (medical appointments, etc.)
The COVID-19 Hardship Fund Application Form is available online at the Irish Red Cross and Age Action websites (attached).
For further information contact
Phone: The Irish Red Cross at 01 6424600 or Age Action at 01 475 6989
The closing date for applications is August 31 2020.
Application form below: